Brace Yourself for Severe Winter Weather
When winter storms strike with ice and very cold temperatures, the possibility of power outages increases. During a power outage, Jackson EMC works to restore power as quickly as conditions and safety procedures allow.
You can take these steps to prepare for winter storms:
• Know Your Medical Needs: Talk to your medical provider about a power outage plan for medical devices powered by electricity and refrigerated medicines.
• Food Supplies: Keep a three-day supply of food and water for each person in your household.
• Food Storage: If you lose power, keep freezers and refrigerators closed. Refrigerators keep food cold for about four hours and full freezers keeps the temperature for about 48 hours.
• Extra Supplies: Make sure you have extra batteries on hand, and a portable charger or power bank to charge your phone for communication with loved ones.
Stay safe by:
• Staying away from downed lines.
• Placing a generator only outdoors and away from windows.
• Avoiding using a gas stove or oven to heat your home.
• Disconnecting appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
For more information, visit jacksonemc.com/storm