Cheese and Egg Soup
- Warm comfort food for a cold winter's day.
- 4 slices thick French or Italian bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese, in 1/2 inch dice
- Black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush bread slices with olive oil and rub with garlic. Place on a baking sheet and bake about five minutes per side, until golden. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Whisk together eggs and Romano cheese, and then gradually add this mixture to the boiling broth. Stir for a couple of minutes, until egg strands are cooked. Add parsley and black pepper to taste.
To serve, place a garlic bread slice in each bowl. Sprinkle some diced mozzarella over bread and ladle hot soup over all.