Deck the Halls Safely with These Lighting Tips
The holidays are coming – and for many families, that means it’s time to deck the halls with festive lighting. Statistics show home fires and electrical accidents typically increase during winter months, so keep these holiday lighting tips in mind for a safe holiday season.
1. Carefully inspect all electrical decorations before you use them. Cracked or damaged sockets and/or loose or exposed wires can cause serious shock or start a fire. Discard any defective strands.
2. Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs or fuses.
3. Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to sleep.
4. Consider purchasing LED lights, which use less energy and run cooler than traditional incandescent lights. Shop for LED holiday lights at jacksonemcmarketplace.com.
5. Avoid resting bulbs on tree needles and branches. Try using a clip to keep bulbs upright.
6. Make sure that electrical cords are not pinched in doors, windows or under heavy furniture. It could damage the cord's insulation and cause a fire.
Source: Electrical Safety Foundation International