Deep Fried Apple Fritters
Nothing's more Southern than this deep fried tradition.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup apples, unpeeled, finely diced or grated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil (to fry in)
- Confectioner's sugar (to sift)
In mixing bowl, combine beaten egg, milk, apple, sugar, salt, orange peel, orange juice and vanilla. Sift together the flour and baking powder; fold into the apple mixture and stir just until all flour is moistened. Drop batter by rounded teaspoon into hot oil (350 degrees). Fry until deep golden brown, about 3- 4 minutes, turning once. Drain fritters thoroughly on paper towels. Roll in sugar or sift the sugar over the tops. Yields about 40 fritters.
Recipe courtesy ofThe Best of Country Cooking.