Jackson EMC Preparing for Hurricane Florence
Jackson EMC is closely monitoring the projected forecast of Hurricane Florence and its potential impact on Northeast Georgia and is ready to respond. Current forecasts indicate Northeast Georgia could experience strong winds and rain as a result of Hurricane Florence beginning Sunday, Sept. 16.
Linemen and other support personnel stand ready to respond to our members when needed.
While preparing for the potential threat Hurricane Florence poses for North Georgia, consider the following electrical safety tips:
- Beware of fallen power lines. If you come upon a fallen power line, assume that it is electrically charged. This includes cable TV feeds and telephone lines. Report any downed line to your power company. Report an outage to Jackson EMC at 1-800-245-4044 or by visiting outage.jacksonemc.com.
- Leave it to the professionals. If you feel your house has been damaged, have a licensed electrician check your home.
- If you decide to evacuate, make sure the water and electricity are shut off at your residence.
- Take proper precautions when using a generator if you lose power. Place the generator outside the home, as dangerous carbon monoxide fumes are odorless and can quickly overwhelm you indoors. Also, never connect generators to another power source, such as power lines. The reverse flow of electricity or “backfeed” can electrocute an unsuspecting utility worker.
- Prepare for medical needs, such as having a plan for loved ones who depend on medical equipment that requires electricity. This includes backup power, extra medical supplies and medication, or going to an alternative location until the storm is over.
- A final helpful hint. In the event of a power outage, check your breaker panels before calling your power company. Check both the main breaker on the inside panel and outside disconnect (usually only found on newer homes) located close to your electric meter. If the breaker is tripped, it will be stopped halfway between "off" and "on." Turn the breaker off first and then back on to reset it. If you still have power in part of your home, check the individual breakers in the panel.
A complete list of items to help homes and business prepare before the storm is available on the Jackson EMC website at: www.jacksonemc.com/prepare.
For more information about storm preparation, to report outages and for a listing of current outages visit: www.jacksonemc.com/storm.
- Report Outages. Jackson EMC members should report outages to at 1-800-245-4044 or by visiting outage.jacksonemc.com.
- Storm Center. Outage updates and a map with current outages is available at: news.jacksonemc.com/outages/.
- Outage Map. Available in the Storm Center, the Outage Map provides real-time information on outages. www.jacksonemc.com/storm
- @JacksonEMC on Twitter. Follow @JacksonEMC on Twitter for storm tips and outage updates, or like us on Facebook JacksonEMC.