Jackson EMC Preparing for Hurricane Zeta
Jackson EMC is closely monitoring the weather forecast and the potential impact on our area from Hurricane Zeta. We are ready to respond, if conditions warrant.
Current forecasts indicate portions of Jackson EMC’s service area will be affected by heavy rain and strong winds from Zeta, which is expected to be a tropical storm when it reaches our service area early Thursday morning. Zeta is expected to have maximum sustained winds of 25-35 mph with gusts up to 45 mph, which could bring down trees on power lines.
As always, Jackson EMC linemen and contact center team members stand ready to respond to our members when needed.
In addition to having an emergency plan for yourself and your family, consider the following electrical safety tips:
- Beware of fallen power lines. If you come upon a fallen power line, assume that it’s electrically charged. This includes cable TV feeds and telephone lines. Report any downed line to your power company. Report an outage to Jackson EMC at 1-800-245-4044, by visiting outage.jacksonemc.com or via the MyJacksonEMC mobile app.
- Take proper precautions when using a generator if you lose power. Place the generator outside the home, as CO fumes are odorless and can quickly overwhelm you indoors. Also, never connect generators to another power source such as power lines. The reverse flow of electricity or “backfeed” can electrocute an unsuspecting utility worker.
- Prepare for medical needs, such as having a plan for loved ones who depend on medical equipment that requires electricity. This includes backup power, extra supplies or going to an alternative location until the storm is over.
- A final helpful tip.hint. In the event of a power outage, check your breaker panels before calling your power company. Check both the main breaker on the inside panel and outside disconnect (usually only found on newer homes) located close to your electric meter. If the breaker is tripped, it will be stopped halfway between "off" and "on." Turn the breaker off first and then back on to reset it. If you still have power in part of your home, check the individual breakers in the panel.
A complete list of items to prepare in homes and businesses before the storm is available on the Jackson EMC website at: jacksonemc.com/prepare
- Report Outages. Jackson EMC members should report outages to 1-800-245-4044, by visiting outage.jacksonemc.com or via the MyJacksonEMC mobile app.
- Storm Center. Outage updates and a map with current outages is available at: www.jacksonemc.com/storm
- Outage Map. Available in the Storm Center, the Outage Map provides real-time information on outages. www.jacksonemc.com/storm
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for important outage updates.