New Traditions Can Save You Energy & Money
The holiday season means more family time, delicious food and time spent together enjoying seasonal traditions. For many, this also means sorting through boxes of holiday decorations, preparing for a temporary holiday home makeover.
Those boxes could include handmade ornaments from your childhood or more trendy decorations you bought last year. Somewhere in the mix, there’s a good chance you have holiday lights ready to hang either on a tree or outside your home.
If you haven’t purchased new lights in a while, consider buying new, LED holiday light strands. These can help you save energy and money, and help your family stay safe this holiday season.
Check out the ways LEDs can save you energy and money.
- LED lights are 70% more efficient, saving you money on your electric bill. The same long lasting LED string has the potential to be in use up to 40 holiday seasons from now.
- Concerned about losing the traditional, warm glow of lights passed down to you? LED light strands come in all shapes, sizes and light temperatures. Look for “warm white” on the label to ensure a cozy glow.
- Consider controlling both your indoor and outdoor LED lights with a timer. Program the timers so the lights turn on in the evening and off later at night when you typically go to bed.
- LED lights are much cooler than traditional holiday lights, reducing the risk of combustion or burnt fingers. Because LED light strands give off virtually no heat, they are safer for kids and pets (and reindeer).
- Up to 25 strings of LEDs can be connected end-to-end without overloading a wall socket, meaning you can have the “Clark Griswold experience” without the safety risk.
- LED lights are made with epoxy lenses, not glass, and are much more resistant to breakage.
If you’re ready to refresh one of your holiday traditions this year, Jackson EMC encourages you to switch your old holiday lights for LED lights. While LED lights may be a greater expense upfront, they can help you save energy and money in the long run by lasting up to 40 holiday seasons.
Information from the US Department of Energy, energy.gov.
Ready to shop for energy efficient LED lighting? Visit the Jackson EMC Marketplace at jacksonemcmarketplace.com.