Save Energy (and money) this Winter
When the temperature outside begins to drop, keeping your home warm and comfortable can become more challenging. With a few simple steps, you can save energy – and money – on your electric bill this winter.
- Use the sun’s radiant heat by opening your curtains and blinds during the day to warm the house. Close the blinds at night to reduce heat loss through the windows.
- Add more insulation to your attic. Over time, insulation can compress or shift, which leads to spaces where heat can escape.
- Make sure your house is properly sealed by looking for bad weather stripping around doors, windows and attic access points. Remove and replace any caulk or bad weather stripping.
- Use the fireplace sparingly. It draws the home’s heated air up the chimney. Make sure the damper is closed when not in use.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees in colder months to save on your heating costs.
Need more tips to save energy? Visit jacksonemc.com/savingtips.