Storm Ready: What Will Your Family Need if You Lose Power During a Storm?
Think of Your Family’s Needs
Before preparing your emergency plan, think of the needs and responsibilities of your family. Keep in mind these may include:
- Different ages of household members
- Responsibilities for helping others
- Dietary needs
- Medical needs, including prescriptions, medical devices and equipment
- Pets or service animals
Make a Plan
Put a plan together on how your family will respond to a storm. Consider that during a widespread emergency, such as a hurricane, you may not have power for several days. Ask your family these questions and create a plan to respond.
- How will we receive emergency alerts and warnings?
- Do we need to update our emergency kit?
- How do we plan to communicate with family and friends during and after the storm?
- What is our plan to evacuate or seek other shelter, if needed?
Sign Up for Alerts, Warnings
Technology has made it easier to stay informed during emergencies. Before a storm hits, download an app that can give you weather alerts and warnings, such as the FEMA app.
Know How to Report an Outage
To view or report a power outage, visit outage.jacksonemc.com, use the MyJacksonEMC mobile app or call 1-800-245-4044.
Make an Emergency Kit
- Water (A gallon per person, per day per several days)
- Non-perishable food, such as dried fruit, peanut butter or energy bars
- Manual can opener
- Paper plates, plastic cups and utensils, paper towels
- Prescription medications
- Extra batteries or an alternative power source
- Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Whistle to signal for helo
- First aid kit
- Pet food
- Baby supplies (formula, diapers, etc.)
- Extra pair of eyeglasses
For more severe weather preparation tips, visit jacksonemc.com/storm.