Strawberry Avocado Salsa
"Add a tangy taste to plain protein. The salsa is spicy and sweet and works as a snack, dip or dessert when paired with cinnamon-sugar tortilla chips or graham crackers." – JACKIE HUNT, GAINESVILLE, GA.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
DIRECTIONS: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Toss until coated.
VARIATIONS: Use this “magic formula” and come up with your own favorite salsa. Just combine together any mix of the following:
- 1 tablespoon acid—any type of citrus juice or vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon sweet—honey, sugar or maple syrup.
- 1 tablespoon heat—jalapeño, chiles or 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes.
- 2 cups fruit—mangoes, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, avocado or peaches.
- 1 tablespoon herbs—parsley, tarragon, cilantro, mint, rosemary, thyme or basil.
- 1 tablespoon onion—scallion, white onion, yellow onion, red onion or shallot.
- 1 tablespoon oil—olive oil, canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Salt and pepper, as desired.